What's New @ The DIY Dreamer

Friday, October 12, 2012

Toddler Stool to Sophisticated Stool!!

Gabrielle received a Dora Stool when she was 2.  Gosh did she ever LOVE that stool.  However, she's 7 now and Dora well... is just not cool anymore.  She still loves the stool though and uses it every day.

I was contacted by Cutting Edge Stencils to review their product.  As soon as I received the stencils, I knew the Zamira Craft Stencil would be perfect to transform the stool.


Along with the stencils came colored instruction sheets.  One explained what to do with the stencil as soon as you receive it, what paint to use and a few photos of home décor and decorating ideas.  The other had the step by step on how to stencil walls

With the help of Cutting Edge Stencils here's the stool's before and after:


Step 1: I sanded the stool to remove the paint that was on it.  Step 2: The Dora image was actually craved into the stool, so I had to use wood filler to get the surface flat.  I applied about three thin coats of wood filler.  I would sand between each coat.  Step 3: I sanded the surface until it was perfectly smooth.


Step 4: I applied two coats of primer.  Step 5: I gave the stool two coats of yellow paint.


Step 6: I placed the stencil where I wanted it.  Step 7: I used painter's tape to secure the stencil onto the stool.  Step 8: I put some paint into the paint pan and rolled my dense foam roller into it.  Step 9: As per the suggestion of Cutting Edge Stencils, I then rolled the roller onto a piece of paper towel in order to get rid of any extra paint.  Step 10: I painted the stencil onto the stool.


When I was done with the stencil, I slowly removed it from the stool.  I waited about an hour before trying to clean it.  The stencil was soooo EASY to clean!!!  It came out as if I hadn't used it!!  I was honestly surprised.


And voilà the final result:


I LOVED the product!!  I'm totally giving Cutting Edge Stencils a THUMBS UP!!!  I love that they are there to help.  There have created a bunch of videos on how to stencil walls.  Have you visited their blog or even their Facebook page??  They are always sharing new creations that were done with wall stencils.  I especially LOVE following their Pinterest page.

What do you think of the stool?  Gabrielle LOVES it!!  As soon as it was dry she started using it.. and because of that, I haven't been able to put some Polycrylic on it yet!

Hope you have a FABULOUS day!!!








P.S. I'm linking at these Parties.

Disclosure:  I was not compensated for this post, however I received these products for free to review.    The opinions in this post are 100% my own.

24 comments:

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. said...

What a transformation! I love how that stencil looks on the stool! Perfect! Bye bye Dora, hello sophistication! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Hope to see you back next week!

Bobi Jensen said...

so cute!

Would love to have you join my weekend linky party!

http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/10/weekend-warmth-5.html

Bobi

Kristy Creighton said...

What a great makeover! How many of us have had these tiny people stools around, taking up space once the tiny people aren't so tiny anymore? Thanks for the heads' up on a good product, too!

Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

awesome job Christine! oh the little ones grow up so fast don't they? this stool should be good for...ever! :)

SweetPepperRose said...

Sweet upcycle, Christine!

Michele said...

Very cute result. Who would ever guess it's the same piece with Dora on it?

Mariel said...

Cute! It looks WAY better! I would love to have you stop by 'Or so she says...' today and share some of your great ideas with my readers! The 'Your Great Idea' link party runs every Sat through Tuesday. Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

Brie - Breezy Pink Daisies said...

What a difference! I love it! :) I just got my first stencil from Cutting Stencils and am planning on doing a wall. I'm so excited - I can barely contain it! Stencils are the coolest!

Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

Morgan said...

That stool looks awesome! I agree - it's totally sophisticated. :)

ivalex said...

Good job,the new chair is wonderful. Greetings from me and the Czech Republic.

Debra said...

Very nice...no wonder she loves it :)

Smart! School {House} said...

WOW! What a makeover! Great job. I loved stopping by:) Thanks for linking up To Whimsy Wednesday!

Kelly,
Smart! School {House}
www.smartschoolhouse.com

Angela said...

Gorgeous transformation! I bet your daughter is thrilled with it!

Lisa said...

Great idea and it looks brand new and so modern!

Chelsea @ Making Home Base said...

Beautiful! I love the neutral colors!

Ellora said...

So chic! And perfect for a little girl. :) I love the stencil and neutral colors.

Donna Wucherer said...

Love this little stool. Thanks for sharing.
Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

Alderberry Hill said...

Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday dear, you are being featured tonight!!!

Jocie@TheBetterHalf said...

hey Christine, I love this stencil and the stool turned out great!
We just started back up our link parties and we would love if you came and linked up at The Humble Brag. Each week, one lucky featured blogger will get one free week of advertising, which mean thousands of ad views a day! Hope to see you there.
http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-3/

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Love how your stool turned out! I'd love for you to link this up to Do Something Crafty Friday: http://seevanessacraft.com/2012/10/do-something-crafty-62/

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Great transformation on the Dora stool, looks so much better now.

Melissa said...

Such a great transformation! I actually want to do something like this with my daughter's step stool when she gets a little bit bigger. I actually just let her re-paint her own any way she wants it (which is cute...for now) but I can't wait for it to be cute & sophisticated like this. Saw your project via Sunday Funday & I wanted to follow you via GFC but I can't seem to find it on your blog. I went to follow you on twitter but I guess I already am :)

http://adayinthelifeofamomandawife.blogspot.com/2012/10/diy-painted-halloween-bottle.html

TidyMom said...

Fantastic transformation!


Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/12-diy-projects/

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Great upcycle!! Love that stencil!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...