When she asked for an the orange cake mix, I was like.. really? Are you sure? And yes she meant it! I went to 4 different grocery stores and guess what... no Orange Cake mix.
Since I couldn't find the mix, I decided that if she really wanted an Orange Cake, I would make one... a REAL one. I found a very good recipe at Dulce Dough.
And the result:
It was an absolutely YUMMY cake!!! I wanted to keep one piece to take a photo... however Gabrielle decided to eat the last piece with Emanuelle. Yes that's right they ate the piece I had kept for the photo.... so sad!
Orange Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frostingby Jill (www.dulcedough.com)
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour two 9" round pans, or spray with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine cake cake flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
3. Mix in butter, buttermilk, eggs, orange zest, vanilla, and orange extract.
4. Beat with mixer on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
6. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cooling racks, then allow to cool completely before frosting.
7. To make the frosting, cream together the cream cheese, orange juice, orange zest, and orange extract.
8. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy.
It's a fabulous cake.. like REALLY fabulous! What I would do for another piece....
P.S. I'm linking at these Parties.